iBook 2001 (dual usb) vga output

In reference to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/03/msg00063.html, I have not
been able to get a workable VGA out on my 500Mhz iBook 2001. I have found
the m3mirroc utility and it switches the outputs on and off. The screen in
1024x768 is quite wobbly, it approaches a workable state in 800x600. I
have googled for this problem, and I cannot seem to find an answer. Would
it be possible to use a Modeline to force syncronisation to decent values
(and turn the lcd off) ? Has anyone managed to get this working ? I am
using X.org from sid.

Cheers,
Jonathan