about apple centers [was: Re: joy. AirPort Extreme]

Hi,

(retitling to avoid polluting the good news too much :-)

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:25:03PM +1100, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> have you contacted the hospital yet about having your arm and
> leg removed?

i kind of missed the joke here. but no, fortunately not yet :-)
i guess you meant they would be reluctant at doing it.

> apple repairs wanted to charge me au$500 for a replacement
> battery. which goes for au$180 on the au apple store.
> thats after charging me over $100 to install a $20 replacement
> power board (which i begrudgingly paid as you cant get
> those things off the shelf. and my ibook was just junk without
> it. although very classy junk)

luckily my machine is still under warranty, so i could argue with them
without talking money. but then, running only linux on it made them look
at me as a second class citizen.

> all that on top of charging me just to look at it!
> and i already told them what was wrong and what was needed
> to be replaced.

they also had troubles to believe that my disk was really broken, and
left the machine without doing nothing to it for 4 weeks, whereas they
told me it would take up to 3 at max.

after 4 weeks, i went to fetch the machine. 6 hours later i could
reproduce the bug. after playing with it a bit, i couldn't boot anymore,
and scanning the hd made the osx cd crash.

running smarctl, to which i was rightly pointed to on this same list
(thanks for that Emmanuele and Ben), i could essentially figure out why
the disk had been dying in my hands from the beginning.

> that said, the apple store its self was most pleasant to deal
> with and they installed the 512mb ram i bought for free, (figured
> i may as well max is out while it was in there) and apple store
> also ordered the battery for me and we all had a laugh at the
> repair place for their stupid quote.

i will try to stay polite tomorrow, but having to do their own work and
seeing them still doubting of mine did not make me very happy.

maybe apple should send their technicians for a training on -powerpc :)
for now, i could just suggest making sure the broken part is completely
smashed before sending it back...

tchüß, piem

> sorry, good work on the drivers though.

indeed, twice :)