Re: noise from line in on G5

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:01:06AM +0000, Paul Brossier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to boot this PowerBook7,2 on 2.6.14, but it fails for
> me (see #336993), so maybe this got fixed since 2.6.12.

right, i can reproduce this on 2.6.14 too.

> When i boot on 2.6.12, with the headphones on and the volume reasonnably
> high, i can hear the hard drive crunching and the mouse movements in the
> headphones.
>
> If i fire up alsamixer, select the 'Input Source [Line]' (disabled), and
> press arrow up, the noise goes away for good (pressing arrow down
> doesn't bring it back).

Ben, any idea about this bug?

i found these lines in ./sound/ppc/tumbler.c

        { .iface = SNDRV_CTL_ELEM_IFACE_MIXER,
          .name = "Input Source", /* FIXME: "Capture Source" doesn't work properly */
          .info = snapper_info_capture_source,
          .get = snapper_get_capture_source,
          .put = snapper_put_capture_source
        },

iiuc, the noise disappear when calling snapper_set_capture_source.

maybe mix->acs should be initialized to another value ?

> Is this a known bug? Also, what's the status of the line in and optical
> connections? I don't really mind if it doesn't grok digital, but analog
> input would be great.

any news on the digital i/o front ?

thanks, paul