Re: [XFree] keyboard mapping

(resent to the list)

Thomas Harding wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't figure out how exactly is done keyboard mapping :
>
> setxkbmap -print gives me "macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/fr"
>
> - If I modify /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintoch/fr, eg. replacing "sterling"
>   by "bar", it works.
> - If I modify next position, eg replacing by "asciitilde", it doesn't
>   works, and continue to produce a "agrave", or "udiaeresis" with
>   apple+sterling and apple+shift+sterling
>
>   Notice these two characters are normally not as this position in the
>   config file (correct mapping would be "at" --@-- and "numbersign"
>   --#-- ).
>
>   It is the same for all exotics characters : mapping doesn't
>   correspond to what is in the config file.
>
>   If I use xmodmap, this is the same problem : mapping is OK on the
>   first and second positions, not for the nexts.
>
>   Maybe the apple key is not corresponding to "alt gr"... so where is
>   mapped the apple key  -- while it is not the console mapping?

The key modifiers are Shift, Alt and Shift Alt. No alt gr.

I don't know what box you are running, but, just in case, there are
french, US and DE keymaps for the apple powerbook, here:

http://seehuhn.de/comp/powerbook/#keyboard

They try to imit OSX keymap, but there are some lacks.

-- Yves-Alexis Perez

PS: french osx keymaps
http://www.corsac.net/images/200510/keyboard.jpg
http://www.corsac.net/images/200510/keyboard-shift.jpg