[XFree] keyboard mapping

Hello,
I can't figure out how exactly is done keyboard mapping :

setxkbmap -print gives me "macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/fr"

- If I modify /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintoch/fr, eg. replacing "sterling"
  by "bar", it works.
- If I modify next position, eg replacing by "asciitilde", it doesn't
  works, and continue to produce a "agrave", or "udiaeresis" with
  apple+sterling and apple+shift+sterling

  Notice these two characters are normally not as this position in the
  config file (correct mapping would be "at" --@-- and "numbersign"
  --#-- ).

  It is the same for all exotics characters : mapping doesn't
  correspond to what is in the config file.

  If I use xmodmap, this is the same problem : mapping is OK on the
  first and second positions, not for the nexts.

  Maybe the apple key is not corresponding to "alt gr"... so where is
  mapped the apple key  -- while it is not the console mapping?

--
Thomas Harding