Re: ibook g4 hard drive failures

> so far, it looked to me like a hardware issue, but i found this thread:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/08/msg00182.html and i have this
> line at boot time: 'hda: Enabling Ultra DMA 5' (shouldn't it be a 2?)
>
> so, hardware or software? is there anything i could try before sending it for
> repair?

No, Ultra 5 is what you should have on those recent machines/HD (for the
disk that is).

I'd say your disk is dying. Best thing at this point is to test MacOS X
and check if a similar problem happens (though if it's a thermal
problem, I would say OS X may have more aggressive thermal control, I'm
not sure about the thermal control driver in linux for those newer
laptops, though it shouldn't cause that for sure).

Since nobody else is reporting that issue, I deduce that the problem is
local to your machine.

You should get the disk replaced ...