Terminal problems

Hello Everyone, I am back. After trying a few different distributions of linux, and using gentoo for a while, I have found that I was missing debian. Right now I am having actually a few things that are puzzling me. I am running Debian unstable (Sid) but attempting to build most of it with apt-get source and such.

This brings me to my first question. Has anyone used apt-get source or dpkg-buildpackage to compile sid lately? when I first compiled automake the build went fine, but I couldn't install because of autoconf wasn't installed. Then I did the apt-get source --build autoconf and I had unmet dependencies for that. so I did apt-get build-dep autoconf and installed m4 automake-1.9 and one or two others. Now neither autoconf nor automake will build. I built autoconf-2.59 on my own, just to see if that would compile, and it did. the trouble seems to be that nothing in the autoconf-2.59a/lib directory seems to be getting built during the compile phase, and automake, I haven't even began to look at yet.

wmaker for some reason just catches a signal 11 and quits when xorg starts. I used the source package and compiled that, and I get the same results. xfce4 and twm work, but whenever I open a terminal in them, the background and forground is blacked out, unless I login with a failsafe terminal and then star twm or xfce4-session, and still irc is blacked out when I open that.

Looking at the failsafe terminal output I keep getting the massage xterm: Cannot allocute color "whatever" sometimes green, somtimes black, I think I have seen every color after this warning at one point or another

I did dist-upgrade from stable, so maybe there is something crossing between xfree86 and xorg? Like I said this is just blowing my min, and I am out of ideas, and thankyou in advance for any help.

--Mike S