Re: Mouse movements not identified as activity (sleep in 2.6.12)

On 10/31/05, Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:44:36 +0200
> Eddy Petrişor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a little problem with the sleep functionality in 2.6.12. While
> > i am browsing sometimes I see a warning from gtkpbbuttons-gtk that the
> > laptop (PowerBook 5,2) will go to sleep (and the counting starts. This
> > happens and does not stop when I click the USB mouse attached to the
> > laptop, while is stops if I tap the touchpad or press a few keys.
> >
> > Why is this happening? Does anybody else has this problem? (Notice
> > that I almost never shutdown my laptop, but meerly lock it and put it
> > to sleep, so it can reach an "uptime" of more than 4-5 days, but I met
> > this behaviour even after a day up)
>
> Do you use udev? If not there might be an event device missing for your

Yes.

$ ps -A | grep udev
  435 ?        00:00:00 udevd

> usb mouse in /dev/input/. With the attached program you could check, if
> there is a proper device. (Compile with gcc -Wall -o cev cev.c, run as

$ ll /dev/input/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 64 2005-10-31 08:54 event0
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 65 2005-10-31 08:54 event1
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 66 2005-10-31 08:54 event2
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 67 2005-10-31 08:54 event3
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 68 2005-10-31 08:54 event4
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 69 2005-10-31 08:54 event5
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 71 2005-10-31 08:55 event7
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 72 2005-10-31 18:55 event8
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 63 2005-10-31 08:54 mice
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 32 2005-10-31 08:54 mouse0
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 33 2005-10-31 08:54 mouse1
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 34 2005-10-31 08:54 mouse2
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 35 2005-10-31 09:51 mouse3

> root because access to the event devices is needed.)
>
> If no event device is available you have multiple choices:
> 1. install and run udev
> 2. create missing devices by hand with mknod
>
> Pbbuttonsd will automatically recognize newly attached devices only if
> it was configured with autorescan = yes. See the man page for all
> details.

Apparently the stock debian pbbuttonsd package does not have that
option explicitly set to yes. What is the default value?

--
Regards,
EddyP