12'' Aluminium G4 PowerBook dilemma

Sorry to repost. I'm in a serious dilemma.

I rather stupidly bought a G4 powerbook as it was at a reduced price and
thinking it had ok debian/linux support.

I'm wondering if I should try and take this back to the shop, swap it
with a colleague's G4 ibook or soldier on to try to make it work,
following meeting some biggish problems and Sven's note pointing out my
big mistake :(

What I need:

    good display clarity (I mainly use aterms on fluxbox though)
    wireless networking (I expect to have to buy a wireless adapter)
    sleep
    trackpad

I am running a 2.6.12-1-powerpc kernel. Screen dimming/brightening
works. Pushing the powerbutton turns off the screen (through pbbuttonsd
presumably). X works fine, although curiously the title bars of my
windows are very large. The trackpad doesn't work at all, although I
have set mouse button emulation on my F11 and F12 keys.

    cpu         : 7447A, altivec supported
    clock       : 1499Mhz
    revision    : 0.5 (pvr 8003 0105)
    machine     : PoerBook6,8
    detected as : 287 (PowerBook G4 12'')
    pmac flags  : 0000001a

    Bus 0, device 16, function 0:
        VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corp NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev 161)

There is a report of suspending to disk working here:
    http://www.ncc.up.pt/~rvr/kh/kh.html

And a report of making the trackpad work here:
    http://www.popies.net/atp/

I'd be really grateful for any advice on whether I should try and make
this work, or give up now! My problem is that I've lost a couple of days
of work because of my fried G3 ibook, and losing much more time is out
of the question. Would an Aluminium 15'' or G4 ibook work much better?

Sorry to use up everyone's bandwidth on this.

Many thanks,
Rory