Re: Request for help to identify some bugs (part two)

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 22:39 +0200, Yannick Roehlly wrote:
> Good evening again,
>
> As I already wrote on this list [1], I have a problem with KDE 3.4.2 on my
> ibook. When I insert a cdrom, kded (in fact the "media watcher" part of
> kded) starts eating all the cpu and I have to eject the cd using de F11
> key.
>
> This problem have been reported in the Ubuntu BTS under the number 10193.
> [2].
>
> In this list, Johannes Raspe reported [3] about another problem with kded
> that he solved setting hdc to udma1 [4] but this leaded to other problems
> (hdc: lost interrupts) [5].
>
> I don"t have the same problem as Johannes (kded crashing when exiting KDE)
> but I tested setting hdc to udma1. With this, kded no longer eats cpu but
> hald is stuck with the cdrom (ide-pmac lost interrupt, dma status: 8080 ;
> hdc: lost interrupt ; hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest } ; ide: failed opcode was: unknown ; hdc: drive
> not ready for command) and the cdrom is unusable ; I have to kill hald to
> be able to eject the cd.
>
> May this problem (the first one described in this message) be related to
> dma, knowing that outside of KDE everything's ok?
>
> Without touching to hdparm, /dev/hdc is set to mdma2. What should be the
> correct mode for an ibook?

The kernel should set the DMA speed of the CD to whatever is appropriate
for the drive. If you have problem and slowing it _down_ helps, then
it's indeed something interesting worth noting. If you are on the
contrary pushing it up, then I can't guarantee anything. udma is faster
than mdma so ...

Now the problem is to diagnose kded eating CPU when you have the proper
setting. When that happens, do you see anything in dmesg ? (like IDE
errors etc...)

Ben.