Re: 3D acceleration

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:04 +0200, Philippe Hupé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know if it is possible to get the 3D acceleration working on my
> powerbook G4.

This is an "r300" family ATI chips which unfortunately don't have
documented 3D hardware. There is a driver project that is based on
reverse engineering the ATI binary drivers that may work (Paulus and I
had it working fairly correctly on a G5 a while ago) but it will require
you to get some cutting edge stuff from Mesa & X.org CVS. Also, last
time I tried it on a ppc (it was a couple of weeks ago on a G5), I
didn't have very good reasults with Quake III (which used to work with
an earlier version iirc).

Also, it's not as performant as the r200 one since I think it still
doesn't use HW for some stuffs (and doesn't implement programmable
vertex & pixel shaders at least not that i know at this point). Still
good enough for simple things I suppose.

So the answer is "yes but ...". If you feel like rebuilding the stuff
yourself, you can get something that will work.

Hopefully, things should get better as the reverse engineering effort
makes progresses...

Ben.