Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 07:54:00PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

[...]

> i managed to do a powerpc-miboot flavour build, which does fit on a miboot
> floppy. I would like (urgently) for folk to test it out, it is just a kernel,
> i need to see if it boots, not much more for now, before i go ahead and upload
> 2.6.12-7 which would include it, and subsequently build debian-installer
> images with it.
>
> The floppy is at :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/miboot.floppy

Since this miboot floppy works nicely, I would like to use the
official kernel-source to create a customized 2.6 kernel for miboot.

(I have two different aims: 1. A miboot floppy that could boot with
root on harddisk without a need for an initrd (might be handy if quik
cannot boot anymore) and 2. A miboot floppy with support for NFS-root
compiled in for use without any harddisk at all)

The source is in linux-source-2.6.12 right?

The .config is in linux-image-2.6.12-1-powerpc-miboot right?

If I track unstable, would something like this work?

# apt-get install linux-source-2.6.12 linux-image-2.6.12-1-powerpc-miboot
# cd /usr/src; tar -jxvf linux-source-2.6.12.tar.bz2
# cp /boot/config-2.6.12* linux-source-2.6.12/.config
[modify .config to my needs]
# cd linux-source-2.6.12; make-kpkg --revision Custom.1 kernel_image
[ wait for compilation to end, and insert a working miboot floppy ]
# gzip -9 path/to/newly/compiled/vmlinux
# hmount /dev/fd0
# hcopy vmlinux.gz :zImage
# humount /dev/fd0

To create a working miboot floppy that boot a root on HD (no initrd) I
assume I must also use the perl script patch-floppy-image.pl to set
the "root=" argument to whatever partition the rootfs exists on,
right?

regards,

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>