Re: Announcing powerpc backport 2.6.12-6 kernel package for sarge

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 09:36:50PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have made available backport packages of the linux-2.6 common kernels for
> powerpc for sarge. You will find all that is needed at :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/kernel
>
> or the apt source :
>
>   deb http://people.debian.org/~luther/kernel ./
>
> These packages include :
>
>   1) backported kernel-package, to be able to build the powerpc 2.6.12 kernels.
>
>   2) backported udev, which is needed for 2.6.12 and beyond kernels. I
>   disabled the selinux support though, as it is not present in sarge.
>
>   3) backported 32bit powerpc kernel packages. These are exactly the same as
>   the sid/etch ones (2.6.12-6), but i was forced to disable the 64bit
>   powerpc64 version, since there is no biarch toolchain in sarge. That said,
>   installing the sid/etch kernels would have worked just fine, so if you are a
>   64bit user, please download linux-image-2.6-12-powerpc64 from etch/sid by
>   hand.
>
> Ok, i hope you all enjoy those.

I am currently doing a build of these on i386, and will
make them available when they are ready, hopefully in the next
few hours.

One thing I am wondering is if it makes sense
to make the kernel-package build dependancy as follows,
as it would allow the package to be built on a vanilla
sarge for non-powerpc arches.

kernel-package (>= 8.135) [!powerpc] | kernel-package (>= 8.135.sarge1) [powerpc]

N.B: I'm not sure if thats even legal, though it does seem to work.
Advice greatly apreciated.

--
Horms