Re: how to install debian on imac?

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:42:57PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:20:37PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 08:27:32PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > Hi Joel

> > > Either am I .. :) .. But if someone would donate me a G5 ( .... :) I'd
> > > try to download a CD image from e.g.
> > > http://debian.planetmirror.com/pub/debian-cd/images/3.1_r0a/powerpc/iso-cd/
> > > (if I was in New Zealand, that is)
> >
> > You could also try out this one :
> >
> >   http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/powerpc/current/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso
> >
> > Which needs testing, and has a ppc64 2.6.12 kernel.
>
>               [ ... ]
>
> Ah yes. So your message together with this page:
> <http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/READ_ME>
> looks to me like ppc64 isn't supported yet in
> stable/testing/unstable. Please correct me someone if I'm wrong ..

debian-ppc64 web pages on alioth have absolutely no relationship in any way to
what debian supports or not. The ppc64 alioth effort is a two-person effort to
fork debian in order to have a pure-64 set of packages, even though benh and
others have told us repeteadly that pure-64 is in general considerably slower
and not-needed.

Debian/sarge (stable) has support for ppc64 processors in the form of the
32bit power3/power4 kernels, and 32bit userland.

Debian/etch|sid have now a biarch toolchain producing 32bit code by default
and 64bit code with the -m64 code, this toolchain is now in etch, i believe,
and is used to build the 2.6.12 debian official kernels (flavour powerpc64),
which should go into etch this evening or pretty soon.

Debian-installer has started to being adapted to 2.6.12 kernels (in fact the
daily builds are now built using 2.6.12 kernels) but kernel-installer is
somewhat flakey yet and needs fixing, and i think debian-cd needs adjustement
to the new images, and this will be fixed at the latest during the d-i
oldenbourg meeting sept 21. to 25.

But you can without problem install sarge and upgrade to sid, or even use my
backported udev packages together with the sid linux-image-2.6.12-powerpc64
packages. Or simply upgrade to etch/sid.

> Anyway:
>
> Most packages for ppc64 seem to be ready for testing or unstable,
> IINM ..

Sure, and is a total waste of space, bandwidth and time, and will make your
system slower, don't use it.

> An excerpt from this READ_ME from the page above:
> 6. Status of the PPC64 Port
>
> The ppc64 archive on alioth has about 95% of the source packages
> from Debian 'unstable' compiled.
>
> Most of the missing packages fail to build because of serious bugs
> which are not ppc64 specific.

yeah, and he introduced cruft related to his ppc64 effort into a
non-negligible number of debian packages, which will later have to be removed,
thanks very much.

Just ignore that effort, and stay with the real thing.

Friendly,

Sven Luther