Building ppc64 2.6.12 the Debian way? (Was: Dual G5 turns off after a while)

    "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
    Sven> Have a look at :
    Sven> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=323724

Hi Sven/all,

I'm trying to build the ppc64 kernel using the toolchain in sid
(gcc-3.4 is biarch now, right?) to isolate my problem . But I get this
very cryptic error (in a sid chroot) when applying the debian patches
and it has really stumped me. Any hints?

shyamal@turtle:~/linux-source-2.6.12$ MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-3.4 CFLAGS=-m64" make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 --added_patches debian kernel_image
# work around idiocy in recent kernel versions
test ! -e scripts/package/builddeb || \
            mv -f scripts/package/builddeb scripts/package/builddeb.dist
test ! -e scripts/package/Makefile || \
            (mv -f scripts/package/Makefile scripts/package/Makefile.dist && \
               (echo "# Dummy file "; echo "help:") >  scripts/package/Makefile)
test ! -f stamp-debian && test ! -f debian/official && \
      rm -rf ./debian && mkdir ./debian
test -f applied_patches && rm -f applied_patches
make: [stamp-debian] Error 1 (ignored)
for patch in /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.12/apply/debian ; do            \
          if test -x  $patch; then                    \
              if $patch; then                         \
                  echo "Patch $patch processed fine"; \
          echo "$patch" >> applied_patches;   \
              else                                     \
                   echo "Patch $patch  failed.";      \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue";      \
           read ans;                           \
              fi;                                      \
  fi;                                          \
E: Can't patch to nonexistent revision  (wait until 2006)
Patch /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.12/apply/debian  failed.
Hit return to Continue
make: *** [stamp-debian] Interrupt

So, what am I to do to apply the patches in 2.6.12? I want to recreate
almost exactly the same kernel as the sid package (and use the hints
from benh in #323724).

Am I going hopelessly wrong someplace. This is kernel-package 9.006
from sid.