Re: Debian on Performa 6360 - Boot disk

On (24/08/05 09:00), Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:19:42PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (23/08/05 17:31), Paulo Vaz wrote:
> > > I'm trying to install Debian on a Performa 6360. I
> > > created the disk with boot image as described in the
> > > Install Manual in a PC computer.
> > >
> > I believe this is a nubus mac, which will only boot using MkLinux:
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/powerpc/ch-hardware-req.en.html
>
> Notice that sarge has a nubus kernel (kernel-image-2.4.27-nubus), which was
> never tested, and as a consequence we never enabled d-i to work on those).
>
> If you could give it a try, that would be real nice.
>
> > I put some notes up but I'm afraid some of the links provided appear to
> > be broken (I've not had time to find new ones).  However, it may be of
> > some help:
> >
> > http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/nubusmac.html
> >
> > The notes describe installing woody (the previous stable release)
> > however, it should be possible to find a mach kernel + installer to boot
> > the sarge install disk.
>
> Nope, since the sarge install disk need to know about the nubus subarch, as
> well as include some modules maybe. Please provide feedback about the sarge
> nubus kernel, and i would be happy to work on nubus porting of d-i with you or
> other interested people.

Although I intend to unmothball my nubus mac to help test this kernel it
will require some time and effort.  I am also running amd64 and
new_world machines and it occurs to me that given the rarity of these
nubus machines, is our time better spent working on the developing
technology rather than kit that is of fading interest to most people.

One of the things that attracted me to Debian was its ability to run on
almost anything and the nubus install was my first foray into Linux.  I
am naturally predisposed, from an emotional perspective, to want nubus
supported in perpetuity; however, is this in Debian's best interests?

There is already talk about reducing the number of ports to accommodate
the emergence of 64bit processors.

That one can install debian on nubus mac using woody and then
presumeably upgrade to sarge, is it worth creating a d-i for a very
limited user base?

I have no feel for the number of users that may be interested; neither
do I know what creating a nubus d-i entails.  I thought it worth asking
the question however.

Regards

Clive

--