Re: Boot problems on a B&W G3.

On 8/12/05, Matt Gracie <matt@roadflares.org> wrote:
> I tried to install Debian on a Blue and White G3/400 (rev. 2) last
> night. The installation goes fine, and the install kernel (2.4.18, I
> believe) runs without issue. Whenever I try to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel,
> though, the machine panics on boot and tells me that it can't find
> /dev/console.
>
> It's thrown the same error on 2.6.8, 2.6.11, and 2.6.12, all straight
> from the stable and unstable repositories.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> --Matt

I've done the upgrade and am running 2.6.8 on my B&W G3 (rev a).  Did
you update your
yaboot config and re-install the config to the Apple boot partition ?

How about your /etc/fstab file ?  Is that setup for 2.4 or 2.6 ?   2.6
and 2.4 have
different ways of drive numbering, so you will need to change that.

Also, are you using devfs ?  Maybe you might want to try not using
devfs if you are
using it.  I've never used devfs, but just mentioning it as a possible
source for your problem.

cheers,

      mehul

--