Re: How to create a Rules.make in the kernel-sources?

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 03:46:43PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to compile a driver module for some 2.6.12 kernel sources:
> The compile of this module always quickly stops. As it seems because
> of a missing Rules.make file in the top level kernel source directory,
> or because if a missing rule to build Rules.make:
>
>    [ ... ]
>
> So when building the kernel/Debian kernel-package: Is there a special
> flag for either make or make-kpkg that also creates this, as it seems
> from above, missing Rules.make
>
> Or - alternatively - does the driver source expect to find some rule
> somewhere to build this Rules.make file; a rule that in this case it
> does not see .. ?

Here's the driver Makefile from the Ralink sources:

#
# drivers/net/wireless/rt2560/Makefile
#
# Makefile for the Linux Wireless network device drivers.
#

export RALINK_CFLAGS

RALINK_WFLAGS := -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs
RALINK_CFLAGS := -g -D__KERNEL__ -I$(LINUX_SRC)/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe  $(RALINK_WFLAGS) -DBIG_ENDIAN -DLinux

EXTRA_CFLAGS += $(RALINK_CFLAGS)

O_TARGET := rt2560_sta.o

obj-y		:=
obj-m		:=
obj-n		:=
obj-		:=

obj-$(CONFIG_RT2560_STA)	+= rtmp_main.o \
			mlme.o \
			connect.o \
			sync.o \
			assoc.o \
			auth.o \
			auth_rsp.o \
			rtmp_data.o \
			rtmp_init.o \
			sanity.o \
			rtmp_wep.o \
			rtmp_info.o \
			eeprom.o \
			md5.o \
			wpa.o \
			rtmp_tkip.o

include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

So as the last line suggests the build's looking for $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer