Re: DMA disabled after lost interrupt (on ibook)

>> Yes, exactly same machine and same symptoms.
>> i see these messages since a loooong time.
>>
>> it happens when i copy big files or when i do huge & fast files transfert
>> via ftp/scp.
>
> Both of you are using Apple shipped hard disk or you replaced it ? We
> might have to limit the timings to UDMA/4 on these machines it seems...
>
> Ben

Hi,

I had that "lost interrupt" another time today:

Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: ide-pmac lost interrupt, \
    dma status: 8400
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel:
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: hda: DMA disabled
Aug  3 21:51:56 garfield kernel: ide0: reset: success

Just in case that it may be of interest: I had configured my kernel
(2.6.12.1) with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y.
Several people on the list say that using PREEMPT is a bad idea on
on ppc, so I've recompiled the kernel (now using 2.6.12.3) without it.
But I guess this will not make any difference here, since I remember to
have seen this problem already when I used a kernel from the Debian
binary package (where PREEMPT is disabled).

As I've already said in another mail: I still use the Apple
shipped hard disk, not replaced anything. And SMART checks seem to
report no problem.

Vivenzio