Re: Playing DVD on 1.2G ibook

On Jul 25 2005, Tsai Dung-Bang wrote:
> I use VLC and xine.
> I have keep DMA on, and try use 16 and 24 depth.
>
> But it still play dvd not smoothly, and always drop frames.

I must say that I am a bit surprised by your comment.

If you search the archives, you will find very old mails sent by me and
involving BenH, Michel Daenzer and other people when I was trying to get my
iBook G3 600MHz playing DVDs.

It almost played them, depending on the content of the DVD, and with debug
messages turned on from xine, xine indicated that my processor couldn't
keep up with the task of decoding all frames, but, after a few tweaks, only
a few frames were dropped (I don't remember the percentage).

I would expect that a few more megaherts in a G3 processor would be
sufficient to eventually play the thing and, since I suspect that your
1.2GHz iBook has a G4 processor, the fact that the mpeg2 libraries have
altivec support would make this task even easier.

Or so I thought. Do you have something like deinterlacing enabled? This
would consume a bit more processor than playing the video alone, of
course.

The version of the linearblend deinterlacer that I contributed to xine is
in C only and even though the compilers have gotten smarter since then,
they can't be beaten by hand-crafted assembly.

I hope these comments help to give you some parameters on what to expect.

Regards, Rogério.

P.S.: Another thing that you might try to do is to copy the contents of the
DVD to your HD and try to play it from there to rule out the possibility of
the DVD drive not cooperating.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/