Re: DMA disabled after lost interrupt (on ibook)

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:29:42AM +0200, Sebastien NOEL wrote:
} On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:32:54 +1000 , Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
}
} > On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 20:19 +0200, vivenzio wrote:
} >
} > > Kernel version is 2.6.12.1 (but I noticed the "lost interrupt"
} > > messages already with previous 2.6 versions).
} > >
} > > If more information is necessary (Kernel config?), just tell me.
} > >
} > > If this could be some HW problem, how can I test if this really
} > > happens due to HW faults or because of a problem in the Linux kernel?
} > > (Maybe I can figure this out with MacOSX? But how?)
} >
} > Looks like your drive lockups occasionally... have you tried running
} > some SMART checks on it ? Sounds pretty bad to me... unless there is
} > a problem with the timings set by the driver but I pretty sure I use the
} > same ones as MacOS X ...
} >
} > Does it happen to others with the same machine ?
} >
} > Benh
} >
}
} Yes, exactly same machine and same symptoms.
} i see these messages since a loooong time.
}
} it happens when i copy big files or when i do huge & fast files transfert
} via ftp/scp.

I get the same lost interrupt issue on my dual G4. It doesn't just happen
on large/fast file I/O, it happens on any I/O at all. OS X continues to use
DMA just fine (I assume, based on a lack of sluggishness during disk
access). I don't have a solution, so I'd be very interested if you come up
with one. BenH suggested I check my IDE cable, but that doesn't explain how
OS X can deal with it.

} Sebastien
--Greg