2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...

    Sven> I would like testers who want to test new powerpc kernels on
    Sven> ppc64 machines :

    Sven> These i have uploaded here :

    Sven> http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven_1_powerpc.deb
    Sven> http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/kernel-image-2.6.12-sven64_1_powerpc.deb

    Sven> They are built out of the 2.6.12 debian kernel subversion
    Sven> package, but built with the ubuntu glibc and gcc-4.0
    Sven> packages which do support biarch, something we don't (yet)
    Sven> have in debian.

Hi Sven,

This fails to boot a dual 970FX G5 (PowerMac7,3). I'm not sure what
the relevant parts you need are, but after the initial start it
switches to a reverse video terminal mode, runs for a bit and prints
about a screenful of data ending with

<quote>
time_init: decrementer frequency 33.333333 Mhz
smp_core99_probe
smp_core99_kick_cpu
smp_core99_kick_cpu done
smp_core99_setup_cup 0 done

2.6.12-sven64
</quote>

which I copied by hand. If you need some other input from earlier let
me know what you are looking for (its a pain to copy it all by
hand). Here is the cpuinfo for this machine running 2.6.8-power4-smp

~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970FX
clock           : 2000MHz
revision        : 3.0 (pvr 003c 0300)
bogomips        : 1331.20

processor       : 1
cpu             : PPC970FX
clock           : 2000MHz
revision        : 3.0 (pvr 003c 0300)
bogomips        : 1331.20

total bogomips  : 2662.40
machine         : PowerMac7,3
motherboard     : PowerMac7,3 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 336 (PowerMac G5)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 0MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Sorry for the sketchy info - my job has kept me off my G5 Linux box
for the last few months and I've lost touch with the little idea I had
about what is useful :-(

Cheers!
Shyamal