Re: emulate three-button mouse(macintosh)

On 7/4/05, Alfredo Pironti <alfredio@fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> If you have a notebook, you can also try is using the `Fn' key as a
> modifier. However, as long as I know, it will simply act as a modifier
> for another key, and not for the mouse click event!

I just looked in my /etc/sysctl.conf file, and see that it's set to
the default for this PowerBook:

dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation=1

-- the middle button is activated with fn+control, and the right
button is emulated with fn+option. This works fine except requiring
more limbs and digits than an actual multi-button mouse. I have two
and three button mice, but I like the compact desk arrangement so I
rarely use them.

The REAL saving grace for me is that KDE offers "Mac style" modifier
keys in other ways -- if you go to the Regional and Accessibility
section of the Control Center and bring up the Keyboard Shortcuts
panel, you'll see the checkboxes for "Macintosh Keyboard" and
"MacOS-style modifier usage." With these my brain doesn't get twisted
every time I switch back and forth between KDE and MOL, because the
Command Key (aka "propeller" or "apple") acts as the Control key.

I opened an enhancement request in GNOME