Re: RS/6000 7020 F50 System with sarge

Bruhin wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a RS/6000 7020 F50 system with 1 GB RAM and 10 x 9.1 GB HD with
> 3 604e CPUs.
>
> Does someone know a working system with sarge or woody with my hardware
> type?
>
> I would like to use the following ISO: debian-31r0a-powerpc-netinst.iso
>
> It doesn't boot altough i set the bootlist to cd only. It tries booting
> but makes restarts all the time.
>
> I think, that i can choose at installation time a working default kernel.
> Assumed that i can boot a bootmedia (CD, HD, NFS, TFTP and so on). What
> would you recommend?
>
> I think that i must afterwards compile a new kernel to support 3 CPUs.
>

> I tried today to boot from the HD (harddisk) according to the "Debian
> GNU/Linux-Installationmanual at 4.5.2 and 5.1.2.3.
>
> That means:
>
> Downloading the files vmlinux, initrd.gz, yaboot and yaboot.conf and
> copied to the root directory (/) (now still AIX works, which i would like
> to replace with Debian sarge)
>
> My root directory is under /dev/hd4
>
> I booted the system new and with pressing the F1 key i got to the System
> Management Services and opened a bootprompt "0 >". Then i tried the
> following:
>
> boot hd:4,yaboot
>
> This boots AIX
>
> boot hd:0,yaboot
>
> This boots AIX also
>
> I have the above mentioned ISO in the CD drive an tried with
>
> boot cd:,\install\yaboot
>
> This boots AIX also
>
> I thing i am overlooking something or some information is missing, but
> which?
>
> At URL http://www.de.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep
> There is the following mentioned:
>
> ----------------snip----------------------------------
> Floppy Based Install
>
> Write the boot1440.bin, root1440.bin, resc1440.bin, drv14-*.bin, and
> images to floppy disks. dd can be used on a Linux/Unix system or rawrite
> can be used on a DOS/Windows system.
> ----------------snip----------------------------------
>
> Where can i download this files and would you recommend this method?
>
> What do you think? Which boot method do you recommend?
>
> If you need some more informations, i can provide it to you.
>
> Thanks and hoping hearing form you.

Hi

No ideas?

OK tried also floppies for woody. They didn't work.

I burned also the testing ISO (i think form 07.06.2005). I also couldn't
boot this CD.

Today i also made a firmware update of my RS/6000 7020 F50 System. Then i
tried to boot all CD and floppies (sarge and woody boot floppies). Still i
can't boot the CD or the floppies.

I didn't tried the HD boot, because i don't know exactly the syntax.

Now i am trying a netboot, so a am installing a bootp/dhcp server and a
tftpd (for this i use a intelbased debian testing server). Is that a way i
could go?

I would really appreciate getting some directions, for getting the right
boot method for booting the debian installer for installing sarge on my
7020 F50 System. I could also think over a woody installation (i tried the
woody boot floppies).

Thanks and hoping hearing form you soon.