Re: Copying mp3s from a Mac iPod

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:58:16 -0400
Nathan Thrower <revolution9@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to copy mp3s from my girlfriend's Mac-formatted iPod 4G. I'm running
> Debian Sarge with the stock kernel on an Apple PowerBook G3 500 Pismo. Any
> advice on how to do this without reformatting her iPod?

it is recognized as a scsi disk, if you have, as said in another answer, modules ieee1394, ohci1394 and sbp2
typing dmesg, you should see at the bottom, the name of the scsi device/partition related to your ipod
you can mount it, if you have hfsplus compiled in the kernel, in that way
mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt/whereveryoulike

before take off the fw plug, you should
rmmod sbp2
as user root

to extract mp3's i use (and also to put them into the ipod :-)) gtkpod (apt-get install gtkpod), which reads the iTunesDB and it's easy to use

bye, ptt