Re: Apple's Developer Transition Kit

Mike S wrote:

I am totally confused on this, is the new mac gonna have an x86 chip in it, or is intel going to make a newly designed chip?

They'll use x86 chips.

And for people who also run the mac os (like me) by a universal binary, is that code that is not dependent on the processor, but on the os? So like it would run on either a ppc mac or the new one, as long as they have the mac os?

No. Or maybe a universal binary is like the 'FAT' binaries in that it contains code for both architectures. Not sure.

And is this basically going to be like when mac switched from the 68k to the PowerPC Chip, where the PPC chip ran stuff from 68k,

I don't think they'll add a ppc emulator, so probably no.

johannes