Re: ibook g4 battery status/blankscreen problems

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:58:54 +0200
"[ATR]Dj-Death" <djdeath@gmx.fr> wrote:

> I'm running 2.6.12-rc4 kernel on my ibook G4. It works quite fine but I
> have still some little bug. Since I'm using 2.6.12-rc4, when I close the
> lid with AC connected, the screen becomes blank, then I open the lid but
> the screen keeps blank, I need to press fn+F1 fn+F2 to blank out the
> screen.

Which powermanagement daemon do you use? Pbbuttonsd had a bug that
causes the behaviour you describe in. This should be fixed if you update
to a up-to-date version.

> Then when booting my ibook without battery, the kernel seems to believe
> the battery is connected but not AC, so cpufreqd scale down the CPU
> frequency, and harddrive automaticly stops after 10seconds of
> inactivity. To fix it I need to put the battery in and disconnect AC
> power, then I can reconnect AC and remove the battery everything works
> fine. I always had this problem since earliest sleep patch (2.6.9).

That is a problem with the Apple hardware and a kernel bug that can't
cope with it. The power source is only recognized if PMU interrupts are
coming and those interrupts will only be received if at least on battery is
plugged in. If you boot your machine without battery, the kernel never
check the power source and all depending programs will fail.

I reported this bug roundabout two years ago but it is still present in
recent kernel versions. I think because new Powerbooks have a built in
battery which can't be removed, this problem is realized only by a few
people. If you weren't a passionated kernel hacker and able to fix this
problem by yourself, I think this bug would stay forever. On the other
hand there are more serious bugs to fix, whatever...

  Best regards
    Matthias