Re: ppc64 kernel?

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:45:34PM +0000, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2.6.8-12-power4-smp installed on my sarge G5 XServe and I'd

Could you try the -pseries kernel i have announced in another thread and which
is at :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64.

It is a full 64bit kernel.

> really want to increase the fan's lifespan; the fans have been
> spinning at full rev for months. Where can I find a kernel more
> gentle on the fans?

It will not help for your fan though, but it will be a 64bit kernel, which
means it is better supported, and should allow you to run 64bit apps if
needed. There is now also the biarch glibc that allows that, and the biarch
toolchain. To add to it, the glibc in question should (but i have not checked)
be NPTL friendly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther