Re: Regression with radeon support and kernel 2.6.12-rc5

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:43 +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am experiencing a regression with 2.6.12-rc5 under my iBook G3 2.2.
>
> The problems are as follows:
>
> 1. When switching from console to X, the X picture is redrawn color layer by
> color layer, like an old 3d modeling program, recalculating the surfaces and
> showing them as they are calculated. It takes around 1 second or 2 to get the
> screen back.
>
> 2. When the screen dims to level 0, i am not able to recover it back. To the
> point that blindly one i posted my root passwd on an open irc session i did
> not remember having on one of the VTs. So the computer is on and works, but
> the screen level is set to 0 and never recover. A sleep cycle does not help.
>
> More info about the ibook itsend can be found from
> http://www.hispalinux.es/~data/ibook/

Hrm... The actual "delay" thing is to work around a chip bug on M6
chips. ATI didn't give me a better workaround than stuffing a delay
after each PLL register accesses which can be a bit slow.

Regarding the LCD, that's a bit more annoying... You tried I suppose
playing with the backlight control keys etc... it just doesn't come back
at all ? Hrm... I just never manage to get a proper sequence of
backlight control that works for everybody it seems. When fixing some
models, I break others....

I'll try to come up with a patch for you after 2.6.12 is out, it's too
late for 2.6.12 itself unfortunately. Please remind me if you don't hear
from me again on this matter.

Ben.