Re: communicate with a printerserver using its mac adress ??

On 02 Jun 2005 at 19h06, Roland Wegmann wrote:

Hi,

> Can I communicate with the printer server using its MAC address in
> order to set the static IP of the printer server? If yes, what tools
> allows to do this?

People say to use arp -s, but that never worked for me. I had better
success using a sniffer (ethereal), like Jan-Benedict suggests, and
waiting a bit (one hour has always been enough). Or, you may setup a
dhcp server, watch its log, reboot the print server and hope it'll try
to get a dhcp address.

Good luck!
--
Colin