Re: Wake-up from suspend time change

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 12:18 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > I had hwclock daemon started when booting into Linux and upon shutdown
> > and restart it saved the data and noticed that it was set to UTC but
> > when I booted in OS X (for digital imaging) the time was off by the hrs
> > from UTC.  So I removed the hwclock daemons from starting and then used
> > hwclock --localtime --hctosys or was it hwclock --localtime --systohc (I
> > can not remember which one work to get the 2 times in sync but they did
> > work for that part.)
> >
> > Now, clearning by resetting the p-ram would get it back to 'normal' but
> > then how would i set the clock to utc? I am asuming it is by the same
> > methods I used before.
> >
> > It looks like in OS X that I can only set the clock to local time zone
> > or am I mistaken?
>
> Weird.... Last I looked, OS X stored the clock in UTC +/- the offset in
> PRAM, which is never updated (so you need to clear it, OS 9 will set it
> to local time). Maybe OS X recently changed again to update the PRAM
> offset (that would be bad, the clock should really be UTC).
> >
> > > MacOS 9 used to have the real time clock in local time with an offset in
> > > PRAM, and that did confuse things. With OS X, you should be able to get
> > > it sane.
> > >
> > > Now, how to reset the PRAM value ? Heh, I remember writing a tool for
> > > that a while ago though I can't find it anymore :) Going to OS 9 if you
> > > machine supports it and switching OS 9 time zone to UTC would probably
> > > do the trick too.
> >
> > I can reset the PRAM using the comand-option-p-r but I do not have OS 9
> > on my PB since it is only OS X and Linux or can that be done in OS X?
>
> No idea. What does linux print in dmesg regarding PRAM GMT delta ?
>
> (mine prints: GMT Delta read from XPRAM: 0 minutes, DST: off)

I looked at mine:  GMT Delta read from XPRAM: 0 minutes, DST: on

I don't knnow how to change the DST to off

Now, I moved the S18hwclockfirst.sh & S50hwclock.sh back into my rcS
process and also the K25hwclock.sh in rc6 for now.. BUT

and then typed
# hwclock --localtime --systohc

and the times worked and stayed even when putting the pb to sleep...
UNTIL... I rebooted into OS X and the times were off the -8 gmt (PST)
and then booted back  into Linux to find out that the times were back
into GMT.

I think I keep getting my self deeper and deeper into the rabbit's hole
going round and round with the dual boot. LOL

I have tried using the hwclock daemon and not using it but each one had
its own set of issues.  I am very perplexed.

-adam