Suspend

I'm running Debian/sarge on an Apple PowerBook G3 500 Mhz 'Pismo.'  I've noticed that you can't suspend/hybernate/sleep the computer when you close the screen, and I was wondering if there was a solution to this, as I constantly bring my computer around with me, and booting it every time I need to put it back in my bag would be inconvenient.  I know Linux typically has hybernation issues with laptops, but I was wondering if there was a solution to this.

Thanks,
Nathan