On getting quik to work with oldworld machines (was: Re: Strange frequency reported by the kernel)

Hi, Vinai.

On Apr 13 2005, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Apr 13 2005, vinai wrote:
> > And what are you using to boot linux without MacOS on this machine ?
>
> Humm, good question. Sometimes, I can make quik work, but I have more
> luck with getting the kernel compiled, compressing the vmlinux file with
> gzip and putting it on a floppy with miboot.

I think that I discovered that quik doesn't like ext3 partitions.

I tried this just once, but it seemed to work and I would like to know if
the same method works for you: before upgrading/installing a new kernel,
disable the journal (tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/partition), install the
kernel, run quik with its configuration file upgraded, reenable the journal
(tune2fs -j /dev/partition) and then you're done (I think).

Please let me know if this method works for you. If it does, perhaps, it is
the appropriate time to get rid of using miboot with a gzipped kernel on a
floppy (which is way error prone, as floppies get bad quite easily, at
least with me).

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/