Re: PowerPC kernels, partitioning on macppc

> > > Is there any documentation on these partition maps?
> >
> > Use the source, Luke. Or search the Apple techinfo database. I don't know
> > of any other documentation.
>
> Apple's documentation of this stuff is surprisingly useful. If you really
> care about reading or writing them, look on the Apple website.

Right, you would be the one to know this :-) Since mac-fdisk is strictly in
maintenance mode these days (waiting for parted to slim down enough to
fit onto install images), I don't feel like poking around in the Apple
docs. I still gladly take patches, though.

> > The installer created the Driver43 and Driver_ATA partitions? I would have
> > thought the driver code to be copyrighted by Apple, and not
> > redistributable. Weird.
>
> I highly doubt the installer created the Driver partitions. My guess is
> that whatever the original poster was using to delete them didn't really
> do it completely. The code that Apple puts in them is very much copyrighted

Nuking a partition table should really not leave any drivers behind,
though.

> If someone was going to go to the trouble of getting that support in, it
> would be used first for bootable CDs on oldworld and nubus macs, I suspect.

The awkward way of booting Nubus Macs is what keeps me from setting up an
old box with Debian around here. Not really worth the effort, building
stuff on that box is way too slow.

	Michael