Re: benefits of apt-build for powerpc?

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 22:49 +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> I gather G3 optimisations can be quite effective, even without altivec.
> Problem I have is getting debian (and especially apt-build) to use my
> optimisation flags.  They seem to wilfully ignore CFLAGS etc. :(  So if you
> get that working for debian packages, let me know how.  I'd also be
> interested in seeing what the kernel can be compiled with.  And what packages
> can be built with gcc-3.4 :)

We had quite a few problems with apt-build.  It was very difficllt to
get things working right.  My friend who did a lot of work on it filed a
few bug reports with suggestions and fixes for things but there seem to
be a lot of problems with it.

One thing is that if you change the package names from, say, i386 to
athlon, you're then told that they're the wrong arch and can't be
installed :-).  So in the end we made it alter the package name to
include a tag indicated what the arch was (ugly!).

Recently I found this:

http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/debian-builder/

It doesn't force you to install the packages you make so can be used by
a dedicated build machine that doesn't want to be confused by package
installations.  It may be of use (but I can't find out until after my
exams :-)).

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>