Re: NIC kernel error

Peter Spuhler wrote:

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 17:37 -0600, Peter Spuhler wrote:
My network hangs every so often and the following message appears on ttys0

eth0: RX MAC fifo overflow smac[00810400]

running kernel 2.6.11-powerpc-smp and the network chip in my G4 according to lspci is
Apple UniNorth GMAC (Sun GEM) (rev 01)

Has anyone experienced this message? If so is this a kernel bug or a network configuration error?

I recently switched from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps line and this error occurs more frequently.
Restarting the network fixes the network connection.

Hrm... that's annoying. A fix was made to the driver recently to fix a
problem with incorrect recovery on Rx MAC overflow, but I can't remember
if it made it to 2.6.11 or if it's only in 2.6.12, I'll try to figure
that out.

Ben.

Ben,
do you know when 2.6.12 will make it into unstable? I'm not even seeing a 2.6.12 kernel-tree package yet? Or what older version of the kernel do you know of which did not have this problem?

-Peter

with all the release candidates for 2.6.12 would it even be possible for this to make it in?

--Mike S