Re: PPC G5 SMU driver

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 20:36 +0200, Baobab wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to burst in mid-discussion.
> I've just got hold of a G5 1.8Ghz and like others I'm frustrated with
> the linux fan support.
> Is the SMU unit not carated for in the SMBIOS driver? I was having a
> look at the Darwin code and it seems to mention the System Management
> in the code.
> I'm not too clued up with driver coding, but I will help with it if
> anyone will give me a tip.

I have almost finished writing a new SMU driver that is the first step
toward proper thermal management. It can finally access the sensor chips
on the SMU i2c busses. So now that this is done, what we have to do is
write a thermal driver for the Neo2 type machines on top of this SMU
driver, which is what I'm about to do, but I've been distracted by real
work for the past couple of weeks...

The machine I'm currently working with is an iMac G5. It would be useful
however for me to have some testers with the SMU based desktop G5 as
well to make sure I'm not making incorrect assumptions, so stay around
and look for messages from me with stuffs to test in the upcoming couple
of weeks.

Also, can you send me a device-tree dump ? That is a tarball
of /proc/device-tree.

Ben.