Problem installing "Sarge" 3.1 on Oldworld 9600

I am attempting to install Debian 3.1 "Sarge" on my Power Mac 9600 (200 MHz.) and I keep running into an error during partitioning.

I am using the rc3 installer and am using Bootx. The hard drive I am attempting to install it onto is around 17 GB in size, with a 7.5 GB partition set aside for debian. I am attempting to make my swap partition 512 MB in size (I have 160 MB of real RAM) and the installer will do on of two things. It will always finish initializing the swap partition, but after reaching 100% on initializing the ext3 (I have also tried it with ext2 with the exact same results) partition, the installer says that initialization failed, and tells me I must return to the partitioner. when I switch to a different console, I see an error message complaining about the Super Blocks.

I have tried putting the ext3 partition at the front of the drive, at the back of the drive, and in the middle; All with the same results.

The machine is stock, except for the ATI Rage 128 card I installed to replace the aged ATI Mach 64 video card. The hard drives (including the one I'm attempting to install onto) are all on the internal SCSI2 bus (meaning I haven't installed a PCI IDE/ATA card, or faster PCI SCSI card, etc.)

I have proceeded with trial and error until I am blue in the face and have reached the end of my rope. My hope is that some one hear has had a similar experience and has discovered a solution I have overlooked. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

TIA.

---
Always on patrol for potential enemies.