Re: Problem installing "Sarge" 3.1 on Oldworld 9600

On 5/15/05, nobut1 <nobut1@cwis.net> wrote:
> I am attempting to install Debian 3.1 "Sarge" on my Power Mac 9600 (200
> MHz.) and I keep running into an error during partitioning.
> The machine is stock, except for the ATI Rage 128 card I installed to
> replace the aged ATI Mach 64 video card.  The hard drives (including
> the one I'm attempting to install onto) are all on the internal SCSI2
> bus (meaning I haven't installed a PCI IDE/ATA card, or faster PCI SCSI
> card, etc.)
>
> I have proceeded with trial and error until I am blue in the face and
> have reached the end of my rope.  My hope is that some one hear has had
> a similar experience and has discovered a solution I have overlooked.

I had a similar experience with very similar machine, but I blamed the
PCI IDE card I had installed (VST UltraTek 66 Ultra-ATA). It's
interesting to see that you had similar problems using SCSI!

In my case, I installed slightly better IDE cables and tried several
install combinations, but I found I could not finish the install at
all using ext3 -- the system would trash itself as it was installing
packages. The install completed if I used ext2, but the operating
system would eventually start to trash itself until it completely
broke down.

It's been a few months since I tried, though I may try again soon. I
can't say I've learned much in the interim that might apply -- it
seems to be some very low level problem.