Re: Question on Sonnet's Tempo Trio Card

Hi, Vinai.

On May 14 2005, vinai wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote:
> > Since the disk is now a bottleneck, I was thinking of upgrading the
> > system with a Sonnet's Tempo Trio card, that has information available
> > at <http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_trio.html>.
>
> Rogerio,
>
> Take a look at this page:
>
>     http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/sonnet_ide_cards_and_10_2.html
>
> According to the information there, the Trio has a Promise chipset, and
> I believe the linux kernel does indeed have support for this family of
> silicon.

Thank you very much for the link. I hadn't had the idea of checking that
site. And indeed, the kernel does have support for Promise chips, but let
me say that it's not stellar on a x86 that I have. :-(

Interesting that Sonnet doesn't say which chips they use in the card (well,
at least not in an easy to find fashion).

> Just as an aside bit of info - I tried a dual-function PCI card (USB and
> firewire) in my 8500, which I could never get to work.  I don't know if
> it was my 8500, the card, or the kernel (this was with a 2.4.2? kernel),
> but I always had problems with the firewire functions on that card. And
> the problems were not confined to a single card.

Thanks for letting me know that there may be problems ahead. I thought that
I would import one of these as it sounds like a good deal (less expensive
than getting 3 cards, not to mention higher availability of slots and, the
main factor, PCI IDE cards here aren't easy to find).

> I asked my vendor if I could try another brand of multi-function card,
> and there was the same effect.

I wouldn't have that facility of getting back and forth to the vendor,
unfortunately.

> I will also admit that all my slots on this machine are filled - max RAM,
> SATA card (which works really well) and an ATI card, and even moving
> things around (swapping card between slots) did not help either.

Just curious, how much RAM do you have on your machine? And which SATA card
do you use? SATA devices aren't common here, but they may become easier to
find as times goes on. And does your card have support for MacOS X? Does it
perform well under Linux?

Thank you very much for your feedback, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/