Re: Seeking for Kernel and Xserver for IBM PReP 7248 Systems

Hi Christian!

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Christian Walther wrote:

|for RS/6000 PREP systems you should take a look at http://www.solinno.co.uk/
|I know, it says "Linux on the RS/6000 7043-140", but as the news-item
|states there are many more systems covered. You'll find kernels there,
|as well as all the patches that need to be applied to get a working
|PREP kernel.
|
|I managed to install Sarge using the kernel supplied on a 7025-F40.
|You might want to go for the latest version 2.4 kernel, because the
|2.6 kernels available have an error that make them crash on several
|machines.

Thank you for this solinno website hint!  I will
look into this page again, trying to find more
hints regarding 7248.

I have been told now, that the 2.6.7 kernel and a
2.4.x kernel both stemmed from
http://www.solinno.co.uk with the 2.6.7 kernel
version is not able to display anything on the crt
and the 2.4.x Kernel, a friend tried out before,
even was not able to boot on this RS/6000 PReP
7248 system.

So the 2.6.7 kernel version runs best, but it is
only possible to access the computer over ethernet
or serial ports, where crt display is absolutely
essential to me since I am using this computer as
the only one now, often like a character based
terminal.  But I like to use it in more different
ways and better.

Alles Gute
Helmut H. Franke

--