ati rage 128 dri: trunk, xorg, and debian's xfree

What exactly is the situation with ati r128's 3d support?  It used to all work
fine, but lately I've had to use Michel Dänzer's old (2004) trunk xserver
packages in order to prevent blender crashing on startup.

I had assumed this was just a bug in the outdated xfree packages in sid, and
that xorg would fix it, but I just installed ubuntu's xorg packages, and it's
still crashing.

Are there still patches in trunk that haven't been merged?

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.