Re: autoload modules

On 5/4/05, gm c <gm_c2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that modules will auto load with an
> appropriate alias in /etc/modprobe.d/alias for 2.6.x. I have not
> been
> able to get snd-powermac to load when I use xmms to play sound. Any
> ideas?

I have a PowerBook G3 Series running 2.6.8-powerpc and there's nothing
about sound in my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file. However, I do have a
separate file /etc/modprobe.d/sound  that contains these three lines:

options snd  device_mode=0660
alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
alias sound-slot-0 snd-powermac

There are many lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base  -- do you have alsa
or another sound system package installed?

I also see that I have snd-powermac as one of the lines in
/etc/modules, so I will try commenting it out and see if sound still
works. I apparently haven't relied on it autoloading on this machine.