Re: some way to start gtkbuttons at X startup

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:01:57 +0300
Eddy Petrisor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is there a way to start automatically gtkbuttons at X startup?
>
> my request was ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> to _start_ gtkbuttons when X or gdm starts.

GtkPBButtons is designed to start as normal user and should be used in
that way. If you run it as root you need to weaken X's security
mechanisms to allow root to open the popups on user's screen. My X11
configuration doesn't allow this by default.

I don't know if multiple users use the machine you talked about or if
you are the only one, but a second point is that each user might want to
configure GtkPBButtons for his or her own needs.

> now we are getting somewhere...
> how do I "compile it with gnome session management" ?
> This would be nice enough.

./configure --with-gnome

> Still, is there a way to have gtkbuttons _before_anybody_ logs in?

I haven't used it that way yet, but there are enough hints in the mailinglist
so you should get it it work. You need to authorize root to open windows
on every users display. Please ask a X11 expert how to do this. I always
give temporarely permission with the xhost command when needed.

> > Then it will connect to a session manager and after saving the current
> > session it should always reapear after login.
>
> Again the question: now do I compile it with session management?
> Do I have to fiddle with the source? Will gtkbuttons need a patch?

see above, No patch needed. You need the development files of libgnomeui
and releated.

 Best regards
   Matthias