Re: apple dvd pccard

> > Yah, and it's not simple to make it work because you need both to have a
> > driver for that chip, and to have a proper capture/overlay driver for
> > the mach64 as the output of that decoder is a digital video stream
> > (4:2:2 afaik) that is routed to the input of the mach64 chip.
>
> Mines all on the ATI Rage card on the system board.
>
> ibook dv and ibook dual usb, both with dvd roms, the ibook dual usb
> has a super-drive or whatever rubbish name they give to
> dvdrom/cdrw combos. someone beat some specs out of ati.

These are a completely different issue. The one we were talking about is
actually a proper MPEG2 decoder that takes the MPEG2 stream on input nad
outputs video data.

The ATI stuff is a hardware assist mecanism, it's doesn't do the entire
decoding, it does HW IDCT and motion compensation stuff afaik, or that
sort of thing. Anyway, we don't currently have specs on how to use it.
ATI does provide a binary lib for x86 that can be used in linux, I
think, but not for ppc (though I suppose I might be able to get them to
build an unofficial one ... maybe worth asking), but I don't know if we
have players capable of using it.

Ben.