Re: stranded Ibook g4 users

On 4/19/05, Eric Pineault <pineault.eric@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi all, sorry for the delayed reply, thanks first of all for the
interest and time. I'm totally swamped with work this week, so will be a
bit passive, but it seems we identified a specific type of Ibook G4,
revision 1.1. Sleep works on revision 1.2 but not on ours.

I would like to say that this problem does not affect debain unstable.
I have a iBook G4 12" 1.2Ghz,  /proc/cpuinfo :
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
clock           : 599MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 8003 0101)
bogomips        : 598.01
machine         : PowerBook6,5
motherboard     : PowerBook6,5 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (iBook G4)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 512MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Sleep works well for me. I think it is not a problem of kernel, perhaps a problem from xorg.

Regards,
Bin Z

I also am ready and willing to try any patched kernel that could get
this machine to sleep.

On the Ubutnu list here's what's been done up to now:

"hey guys,
While I'm looking around in an attempt to build the kernel 2.6.12-rc2
from http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/
I found a site that claims to have the same ibook that we have and
claims he has sleep working. He says we have to build a 2.6.11 kernel
and apply a particular patch.

http://www.aronchi.org/LinuxOnIBookG4 "

If you go to the http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic....ight=benh+patch
that is linked from the above site, you'll realize that you'll see that
the gentoo 2.6.11 sources probibly have the patch applied, so you start
there if you know where to get it.

About that gentoo howTo, I posted a question as to where the gentoo
2.6.11 is available and what version he used. The gentoo version of
2.6.11 might be important since the linked gentoo forum suggested that
the 2.6.11 was patched."

Well that's where things stand at the moment...

Any suggestions welcome,

otherwise I'll have to by a second Ibook...  ; )

Eric P

ps I can't send stuff top the Debian PPC list... doesn't get their, though I'm a registered user of the list...