Re: internal modem

ahh ben comes through with the goods
except for the actual doco... hrmm

anyone using a modem on their ibook (even imac) and got some options?
damned lack of apple cds

Dean

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 21:59 +1000, Cedric Pradalier wrote:

According to Dean Hamstead, on Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:23:33 +1000,
machine is a dual usb ibook

has an internal 56k modem, it seems to be at /dev/ttyS0
gtkterm seems happy enough to talk to the modem, but when
i dial (ATDTxxxxx) it just spews garbage at me immediately
no its not ppp, it just hammers in straight away with
or without the phone line plugged in.

could be to do with setserial

or my modem is fried

Dean

These machine are setup with a winmodem, that is most of the modem operation must be done
in software by the driver. It cannot work out of the box like a std modem...

There is a non-free driver somewhere if you really want to use
it. I'm not sure it is ok with a ppc machine though...

No, if he's having reponses on the serial port, then it's still an old
real modem (this is an old ibook).

I think the modem is just setup by default to send the line "sound"
encoded on the serial port. It must be possible to disable that with
appropriate AT commands. I think there is an AT command manual for these
internal modems either somewhere on the Apple CD or on Apple web site.

Ben.

--
WWW: http://dean.bong.com.au  LAN: http://www.bong.com.au
EMAIL: dean@bong.com.au       or       djzort@bong.com.au