Re: Kernel 2.6.8 for pmac

On 10 Apr 2005, at 21:24, Paulo Roberto Jentsch wrote:

Quoting Arnaud Delobelle <delobelle@blueyonder.co.uk>:

Paulo Roberto Jentsch wrote:

Hi... I can´t compile a kernel 2.6.8 for my powermac 8500/132... It´s
not
work... I create the kernel in a .deb package but the kernel not work...
:-(

Can you be more specific about your problem?  For example:
	* what version of debian you are running
    Debian GNU/Linux 3.1

	* where the kernel your are building comes from
I download the package kernel-source-2.6.8 by Debian repositories...

	* what method you are using to build it
    I try this method...
http://debian-br.alioth.debian.org/docs/nacionais/sgml/pratico/ pratico-html/ch-kernel.html

Unfortunately I don't speak portuguese ! But this does not seem powerpc-specific. It would be best if you could find a powerpc-specific guide. Did you update your bootloader? (/etc/yaboot.conf and run ybin after installing the new kernel for a new world mac?)

Moreover if you have added the two lines on your /etc/apt/sources.list as explained your system is going to pull packages from testing (Sarge) instead of stable (Woody or 3.1). I guess you should be careful about this.

Sarge has a 2.6.8 kernel package already compiled for your. It is called kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc I think. You can use this instead and see if it works. (#apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc -- but be careful it might pull many packages from sarge)

	* what goes wrong
The compile are ok, but the kernel is not work... freeze my mac and blank
screen...  nothing more works...  :-(

You must make sure that the bootloader is updated.

That would increase your chances of getting some help.

Where can I find one compiled kernel for my mac?

See what I wrote above.

Well there should be one at /boot/vmlinux...

   can u send me this kernel and modules??

Joke apart.  You can get a list of compiled kernels using:

$apt-cache search kernel-image
In Debian repositories the last version for my mac is the 2.4.18 version...

Mh. That means either you didn't add the two lines to your sources.list or you didn't do a #apt-get update
Which one is it?

(please reply to the list)  Sorry if I'm not too clear, I am very tired.

--
Arnaud