Re: Problem compiling SMU driver [was: Cross compiling linux-2.6.12-rc1 G4 -> G5]

On Apr 10, 2005 5:07 PM, Michael <michael_six@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Just sticking in my two cents on this one.  When you say Xcode and
> Darwin on your G5 I am assuming you mean Pather (OS 10.3) and in my
> experience I have also found that The Mac OS X's (more so in Jaguar than
> Panther), are incomplete as far as Darwin.  Some files needed to compile
> certain things just aren't there.  For instance Jaguar does not contain
> a poll.h for one, so that error on not being able to find sys.h might
> not be your not having installed XCode right.

I would guess that this holds true in general, but it really shouldn't
be applicable to cross-compiling a Linux kernel under OS X (or
Darwin).

Because the kernel does not rely on an external C library, it really
shouldn't be looking in /usr/include for its header files. A properly
built cross-compiler will look in its own private header directories
for any .h files needed, but most of the ones required by the kernel
are in its own include/ and include/asm directories.

>  Also I have come across a
> few programs were to get them to compile I had to "hard wire" the
> #include that made the call to the *.h file.  By that I mean find the
> file, and change the #include to "#include <full_path_to_file.h>"

all I can say is that if you find yourself having to do this, you
would be wise to mention these changes to the authors when you report
build problems with a package. Usually, if a compiler can't find an
include file, something went wrong during configuration.

--
- Charles Lepple