Re : Cross compiling linux-2.6.12-rc1 G4 -> G5

I'm trying to build a bootable kernel for my new mono-processor G5. I
need the latest version because of the new hardware used in the G5.

Has anybody already done this?
Yep...

Any advice welcome!

You have two options : running a ppc32 or ppc64 kernel.
In both case, the g5_config in the configs directory under arch/ppc or arch/ppc64 is a good starting point. Do you have a powermac or an iMac G5 ? In the first case in think the latest kernels from kernel.org supports it, in the second case, here at lab we used a pacthed kernel from another source (can't get the url for the moment but if you really need it I'll try to find it out). May be somebody else know about iMac G5 support in the kernel.org tree.

If you want to run a ppc64 kernel you will need a cross compiler and you won't be able to use make-kpkg (as far as I know).
For a ppc32 I think you can use make-kpkg.

hope it will help...
Feel free to ask more questions.

xavier